The Lake Biwa Canal Cruise is renting facilities from the existing waterworks and therefore operates under strict conditions.
For your safety, please be sure to read the following before boarding.
- You will be asked to wear a life jacket, which will be available on the boat, for the duration of your boat ride.
- Please prepare your own raincoat, poncho etc., in case of rainy weather. (The boat is equipped with a roof, but rain may still come in from the front and gaps in the roof. Please also note that the use of umbrellas on the boat is prohibited for safety reasons.)
- As the temperature in the tunnel on the route is lower (about 5˚C or 9˚F lower) than at ground level, we recommend that you prepare for cold temperatures depending on the weather.
- Please note that you are prohibited to eat or drink outside of the designated area on the dock.
- Consumption of alcohol and smoking are not permitted.
- Large luggage such as suitcases are not allowed on board. We are also unable to store your luggage.
- Please note that in case you are unable to be present at the start of the guide's instructions due to being late, etc., you will not be allowed to board the boat for safety reasons.
- We are unable to give refunds or arrange another ride if you were unable to board due to being late, etc.
- In case of inclement weather, the ride may be canceled. We will post a confirmation of the service status on our website.
- Pets are not allowed on board. We are also unable to look after your pets.
- The boarding area utilizes facilities which were installed during the Meiji period, and there are some steps and narrow passages, etc.
For safety reasons, please submit a reservation request only if you and each of the members in your group are able to embark and disembark the boat on your own and have no difficulties boarding the boat.
Click here for sailing boarding